Improving capacities to eliminate and prevent recurrence of obsolete pesticides as a model for tackling unused hazardous chemicals in the former Soviet Union
IHPA is a partner with FAO in new regional EU funded project on obsolete pesticides and alternatives to pesticides
Since 2012, IHPA is one of the partners in the new EU funded FAO project Improving capacities to eliminate and prevent recurrence of obsolete pesticides as a model for tackling unused hazardous chemicals in the former Soviet Union, together with Milieukontakt and Green Cross Switzerland. The overall objective of the project is to contribute towards better protection of environment and public health in the ENPI East region and Central Asia, through reducing the risk posed by hazardous waste and chemical life cycle management in the region, placing specific emphasis on pesticides as a model group of hazardous chemicals.
The specific objectives are as follows:
- To strengthen knowledge in the countries/region about the extent of the problem by completing/creating inventories of pesticide stockpiles, serving also as a model for other hazardous chemicals;
- To strengthen national and local in-country capacity and expertise to carry out risk assessments and strategically prioritise remediation of polluted sites, safe storage and destruction of hazardous chemicals;
- To improve the legislative framework in line with EU policy approaches and relevant multilateral environment agreements;
- To prevent the recurrence of obsolete pesticides by strengthening effective life cycle management for pesticides and promoting strategies to reduce pesticide use;
- To improve awareness among decision makers and the public of the risks associated with obsolete pesticides and hazardous chemicals and the need to take action, including the costs in both human and economic terms of non-action;
- To enhance cross-regional exchange of expertise and experience;
- To improve donor coordination.
IHPA participated in the first Steering Committee Meeting of the project that took place in Moldova on 27 and 28 September 2012. Here IHPA and IHPA partners of the network presented our previous work on obsolete pesticides. In the EU FAO project, IHPA is implementing in all 12 Former Soviet countries